Online Giving "Frequently Asked Questions"
What is Online Giving?
Online Giving is a direct paperless transaction whereby your contribution is deducted electronically from your bank checking or savings account.
Why should I give online?
Giving online is a personal preference with many benefits for both you and the Church. You may relate to a few of these reasons below:
1. Online giving can help you stay consistent: Even when you are away from church, you can still be regular in your giving so you won't have to worry about 'catching up' when you get back. It is a convenient way to fulfill your stewardship commitments and support the ministries of Covington First UMC, even when you can’t attend. It provides not only a secure, paperless option, but allows you to establish a disciplined giving pattern.
2. Less distractions during the service: You don't have to think about filling out your check or searching your purse/wallet during the service and impacting your worship experience. Instead of worrying about writing a check, you can be fully engaged with the service, knowing that you have already given your offering.
3. Online Giving is convenient: As long as you have internet access, you can give anywhere, at anytime.
4. Security & Privacy: Online Giving is more secure than writing a check that can be lost or stolen in the mail. In addition, your donations remain private as they don’t need to be counted or handled by staff or various volunteers. Your information is only seen by the Finance Manager for the purposes of properly recording your giving for tax records.
5. Helping Covington First: Online contributions require less processing and bookkeeping from the administrative staff since the information is logged and deposited automatically.
Will my information be secure?
At Covington First UMC, we have contracted for this process through Vanco Services. Their system allows us to provide access to you of your contribution records and allows you to make donations online. They provide all of the security for the system. This system is used by churches throughout the country and has been fully tested by them. Please help us keep your information safe by protecting your login information, just as you would with online banking. Access to sensitive information can be gained by letting someone else use your account or by leaving the information page open for someone else to see. Covington First UMC will never call you to ask for your login information.
When will my contributions be deducted from my account?
Your electronic contribution will be debited on the date YOU specify online.
How do I change my donation amount, frequency, bank account information, or any other online giving option once I’ve established a recurring donation?
Simply login to your online giving account and make any changes as often as you wish.
Without a canceled check, how can I prove I made a contribution?
Your bank statement will provide you an itemized list of any electronic transactions and your donations will be summarized on your regular giving statements prepared and mailed by our Financial Manager.
Can I try out the online service by giving just one time?
Yes. You may try online giving by selecting “One-Time” in the frequency drop down box during the signup process. You will see how easy and convenient the process really is. You may choose to always make each donation "one-time" or you can set up recurring payments - whatever best fits your budget and schedule.
How do I participate in the weekly offertory if my contribution is automatically deducted from my checking account?
If you wish, you may write “I’m giving online” on your offering envelope and place it in the offering plate, but this is not necessary. Or you may use the anonymous “I Gave Online “ card available in your pew to place in the plate during worship.
How can I learn more about what the Bible has to say about money and finances?
Covington First UMC is a supporter of Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University. Contact the church office or go to the “Courses” tab for more information about the Financial Peace classes offered by our church.
Who is Vanco?
Vanco Services, LLC is our online giving service provider. Vanco is a financial technology service company that provides electronic funds transfer services to over 10,000 churches and non-profit organizations nationwide. Information received by Vanco is processed in a secure, confidential environment. Vanco is endorsed by the United Methodist Church General Council on Finance and Administration.
Your information is held securely by the Vanco system. This information will remain private and will never be given away to third parties, other than to process your scheduled contributions. You can schedule new contributions at any time and can modify or cancel those contributions at any time prior to the date they are scheduled. Once the contribution has been processed, however, it cannot be cancelled. If you have any problems or questions related to this, please contact us at 770-786-7305
Who do I talk to if I have more questions?
Feel free to contact the church office at 770-786-7305. You can also e-mail your questions to the finance manager, Jennifer Davis.
Click here for Online Giving